The Halloween that went fftttt

That sound is something like the air being let out of a baloon.

OK, so I'm sorely disappointed in the lackluster turnout last night. I bought a metric fuckton of candy in anticipation of the marauding hoardes of beggars. The first poor lot that rang my doorbell got two items because I was rewarding them for being prompt. But as the night wore on, I was giving out great handfulls of stuff because of the sucky turnout. I would have thought that, being in a new housing development, we'd get absolutely raided. When I was a kid, coming across a place like where I live would have been cause for celebration, and two trips around the development. But it was not so. My doorbell rang exactly 8 times, and the most interesting thing that happened all night was the little girl dressed like a chicken who said, after I gave her a massive handfull of candy, "I had lemonaid. My cat died. How many stairs do you have?"

My kids froze their little butts off, but they had fun. This was, I'd have to say, our best Halloween to date. They're both old enough to really enjoy the costuming and getting ready part of the program now, as well as the resultant sugar high. They both took pillowcases to haul their loot instead of cute little buckets like they've always had before. They came home after going around our neighborhood (which was a sadsack little trip around, apparently. Lots of houses not participating) to warm up. Kierstin left with black and hot pink ski gloves on - a lovely addition to her Ice Queen costume.

0 comments: